“I am a hustler! I am not just surviving I am thriving!” Samina Martin’s journey to self-love #ILIKEME
1. Describe yourself only using three words or expressions.
– Beauty, Brains, and Ambition
2. What do you like most about yourself? What are your best qualities?
– I am a hustler! I am not just surviving I am thriving! I love that when I set my mind to something I DO IT! I love that I can be involved in 1,000 different things and I am able to give all of those things my very best. I love that I try to encourage everyone around me to do the same and live their lives FEARLESSLY!
3. Over the past five years, what is the most important thing you’ve learned about yourself? What happened and what made it a significant moment?
– I’ve learned that I am strong. I’ve learned that dark days don’t last forever. I’ve learned there is so substitute for hard work. I’ve learned that there is no such thing as luck but preparation and opportunity. I’ve learned that I am Brilliant. I’ve learned that the mind is so powerful and if you’re silly enough to believe you can do anything, Well then honey, YOU CAN DO ANYTHING! I can not just pinpoint one moment that led me to these realizations but instead a whole host of moments. The moment I got into medical school, the moment someone I trusted betrayed me, the moment I passed my board exam, or, the moment I had to leave my parents house and be on my own in a new city. Each of these moments was very significant in making me who I am today.
4. Are you comfortable with being yourself on a consistent basis or do you possess many faces?
-I believe we all possess many different faces; the work face, the home face and the social face, being the most common ones. I am very comfortable being myself in all setting but based on each situation I am able to adjust.
5. How would you survive living in a world if every other woman were just like you? What would that world look like? Would you survive in that world?
I believe very strongly in individuality and if I was to live in a world where every other woman was just like me it may be pleasing at the beginning because we will agree on everything but it would later be very boring and frustrating. I don’t think I will be able to survive a world with no individuality.
6. Rename your favorite song, book, or movie using your name and the thing you like most about yourself.
One of my favorite songs by Natasha Bedingfield “Unwritten”. (I’m) Reaching for something in the distance, So close you (I) can almost taste it, Release (Releasing My) your inhibitions….. This song takes me to a place of total vulnerability. A place where I am cable of living my best life with no inhibitions.
7. What does love mean to you? Has your definition of love changed over time (from being a young girl to a woman) if so, how?
Love means being understanding, Love means being a vulnerable, love means being there for someone in desperate need of companionship (friendship) even if it’s not convenient for you (putting other feelings before yours), But Love also means saying no and choosing you! Over time by definition of love has not changed it has evolved. It has matured. I am comfortable with loving someone else but I have to be able to choose me because my wellbeing has to be my priority. I’ve learned that it is okay to say no.
8. Do you know how to love? If yes, HOW do you love and WHO do you love?
I believe I do know how to love. The question is… Do I know how to love properly? Of course, I love my family and very close friends. I love by showing affection, by being there for the things and moments that are very important, by listening. Many people love by buying things but I think love is felt most by the time we spend and the moments we create.
9. If I asked the closest person to you if you are capable of loving others what would they say?
–HELL YEA! (hahaha)